Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Felt Christmas Tree

We put up and decorated our Christmas Tree the day after Thanksgiving, also known as Black Friday. We are not Black Friday shoppers.

This year, I let all 3 of my kids help decorate the tree. I have an almost 7 year old, a 4 1/2 year old, and a 1 1/2 year old. Each year, I buy an ornament for each of my children. These ornaments are specific for each child. The ornaments are memories of what the kids have loved for the year. My oldest is into Super Heroes, so Batman for him. My middle is all about Princess, so Rapunzel for her. For my youngest, her first word (besides mama & dada) was tractor. Of course it is pronounced 'ractor.' Her other favorite word and thing to look for is combine.

After getting the new and older ornaments, we began. We tried to help the youngest hang the ornaments on the tree. She did not want anything to do with hanging the ornaments on the tree. No, instead she would pick one up, look at it, and then throw it. (And she has quite the arm for a 1 1/2 year old.) When she started to pull them off the tree to throw them, we stopped decorating until she took a nap. After nap time she no longer pulled off the ornaments. She has learned which ones have buttons to turn on for more fun.

Since they had so much fun decorating the tree, I made a felt one so they can decorate and un-decorate the tree as much as they want. I used felt to make the tree and ornaments.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea! I will have to remember that for next year when Janna will want to mess with the real tree.

    ReplyDelete